History of EGNM (LBA)

Last updated in June 2009.

Jet2.com B737 taking off from Runway 32. Viewed from Otley Shevin

Leeds Bradford was initially known as Yeadon Aerodrome when it commenced club flights and training in October 1931.

Scheduled flights began four years later in 1935. The first flights were to Newcastle, Edinburgh, Blackpool and the Isle of Man.
EGNM back in 1931

In 1936 609 Squadron of the RAF formed at Yeadon. Seasonal flights between Yeadon and Isle of Man and Liverpool also started this year. Work began on a terminal building this year, but progress was halted after only one wing had been built.

Civil aviation ended from Yeadon in 1939 when WWII started; the nearby Avro factory was used to produce military aircraft and many of these flew from Yeadon aerodrome. Significant developments were made to the aerodrome; the addition of two runways, taxiways and extra hangarage meant that Yeadon became an important site for military aircraft testing.

Jet2.com Boeing 737 taking off on Runway 32

Civil flights didn't recommence until 1947; and shortly after this in 1953 Yeadon Aviation Ltd was formed. Two years later Belfast, Jersey, Ostend, Southend, IOW and Dusseldorf were added to Yeadon's destination list. Scheduled flights to London began in 1960, and Dublin was added shortly after.

A new runway was opened in 1965, and the terminal building was sadly destroyed by fire. A replacement terminal was opened by 1968. In 1976 the first tour holiday flight to the Iberian Peninsula flew out of Leeds Bradford.

In 1978 it was decided that with runway extensions the airport's status could be upgraded to a regional airport. Work was begun in 1982, with completion taking place in 1984. The airport also underwent significant terminal extensions and redevelopments. The first phase of these developments was opened in 1985.

The airport became a limited company in 1987, and was shared between the five surrounding boroughs. Although initially the airport had restrictions on its operating hours, these were removed in 1994, meaning that flights could depart from and fly into Leeds Bradford at any time of day or night.

Leeds and Bradford Airport - Overlooking Runway 14 from the terminal

Work on the airport terminal has been ongoing since 1996, and the result of this has been significant growths in the terminal size and passenger facilities. There is a new master plan in place currently which will allow handling of larger aircraft such as the Boeing 777.

You can learn more about the development on the LBA web site.

000webhost logo